Character Name: Ukraine/Ukraina. Kateryna Chernenko/Катерина Цгерненко
Age: Between 1100-1500 years old; physically in her early to mid 20’s
Appearance: Chin length blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. 5’6 (167cm) with a top-heavy hourglass figure.
- What do you know about this character now that she doesn't know yet: How her brother really feels about her.
- What is this character's greatest flaw: She has difficulty saying no or even admitting her opinions on things.
- What do you know about this character that she would never admit: She needs help and she has no idea how to be independent and on her own.
- What is this character's greatest asset: Her perseverance, her supportiveness for others.
- If this character could choose a different identity, who would she be: Probably human? But she sort of already tries to maintain that identity.
- What music does this character sing to when no one else is around: Europop.
- In what or whom does this character have the greatest faith: Nobody and that’s one of her biggest problems. She doesn’t even trust herself.
- What is this character's favorite movie: For Ukrainian cinema, Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors and The White Bird Marked With Black are the two she really thinks of as "classics". Modern cinema, she actually really likes Bollywood.
- Does this character have a favorite article of clothing? Favorite shoes: Her overalls and boots. Either that or her folk costume. She really likes boots especially with sun dresses and she really likes excuses to wear retro cuts.
- Does this character have a vice? Name it.: Pork fat. Bread. Pepper-honey vodka. Spending too much money on people.
- Name this character's favorite person. (Living or dead): Taras Shevchenko. She might also have some giddy feelings for Andriy Shevchenko and Vitali Klitschko. Maybe Bohdan Stupka, but he also famously say "there is no separate Ukraine".
- What is this character's secret wish: To have a lot of people want to be her friend and not consider her to just be part of Russia.
- What is this character's proudest achievement: See #18. That and her independence.
- Describe this character’s most embarrassing moment: OH GOSH I HAVE NO IDEA. Maybe how the Orange Revolution turned out, but that was more of a letdown than embarrassing. I’d like to think when she was younger, she was accidentally caught touching herself with either Russia or Belarus catching her.
- What is this character’s deepest regret: For someone with such a tragic history, she doesn't have many regrets. At most, she has moments she wished would've turned out better (see the fourth link on #17), but she really doesn't regret what she's done. In her mind, if she didn't do what she did, she might've not survived.
- What is this character’s greatest fear: Being seen as a failure. Being forgotten.
- Describe this character’s most devastating moment: From the 1930's till the end of the 1940's. It was a rather difficult time historically. (Note: the UPA in Ukraine is still seen in sort of strange ways. While some see the UPA as yet another problem during a dark time, many see the UPA as protectors of Ukrainian nationalism. Ukraine herself would probably be torn by the whole thing especially considering her closeness to Poland in the present day.)
- What is this character’s greatest achievement: Surviving #17.
- What is this character’s greatest hope: That things will get better for her and she'll be well respected and not be in debt or dependent on her brother.
- Does this character have an obsession? Name it: Flowers (Ukraine being infamous for those 24 hour flower shops), pork fat, having a lot of friends? Would that be an obsession?
- What is this character’s greatest disappointment: Experiencing brain drain, many of her people being otherwise humiliated to be from her home, the problems she's having both with her brother and with the EU. Considering in 1991 when she was gaining her independence from the Soviet Union, she was considered the country who was the most likely to succeed and most likely to flourish and, yeah, didn't happen.
- What is this character’s worst nightmare: That her greatest fear comes true. Dying. Stuff like that?
- Whom does this character most wish to please? Why: She doesn’t really know. Sometimes she wants to be on her brother’s good side and sometimes she wants to be on the EU’s good side. She just wants to please everyone and be friends with them all.
- Describe this character’s mother: See below
- Describe this character’s father: There's a lot of headcanon in terms of Kievan Rus' being them or what have you. For me, Kievan Rus' was a separate entity from the Slavic siblings (culturally, Kievan Rus' is quite distinct with an otherwise dead language, way of living, etc, that wouldn't make sense for the Slavic siblings to maintain while Rome/Italies, Germania/Germanics, Mama Greece/Greece are all separate) SO! She would've been known as Kiev during Kievan Rus' and considering the history and what happened during the fall of Kievan Rus', any memory of him/her would've been otherwise wiped away. She idolizes them and what they did, looking back through history books, but she doesn't really have any sort of physical grasp of them.
- If she had to choose, with whom would this character prefer to live: Probably Belarus again, but she enjoys living on her own and being independent so she would probably not be too keen on that.
- Where does this character fall in birth order? What effect does this have: Oldest. When there were hardships, she was the first to give things up and the first to take the blame for things.
- Describe this character’s siblings or other close relatives: Poland would be the next closest one to her in terms of family
- Describe this character’s bedroom. Include three cherished items: Simply decorated, but she has quilts made by her sister over a huge bed covered in pillows. Also, she has a few stuffed animals—mostly of farm animals. She also has fresh flowers and candles, pictures of her family, at least one religious icon (most likely of Michael the Archangel), and paperwork somewhere near her bed.
- What is this character’s birth date? How does this character manifest traits of her astrological sign: August 24th. Uh, I'm not sure about Virgos. Working for the greater good, a mental ball of energy, she can be reliable and practical.
- If this character had to live in seclusion for six months, what six items would she bring: Her knitting, books, a radio, a picture of Russia and Belarus, some flower seeds, and.... six months worth of bread dough?
- Why is this character angry: When her family or people are threatened…?
- What calms this character: Baking, knitting/sewing, cheesy soap operas, books, tea, gardening, her animals, music, spending time with those she cares about.
- Describe a recurring dream or nightmare this character might have: She usually has more literal dreams. Whether it’s about something in her past, or being in a relationship with someone or she might dream about having another career such as maybe a model or a airplane pilot.
- List the choices (not circumstances) that led this character to her current predicament: Joining the Soviet Union. Can we just leave it at that? You figure there’s over 600 years of history which made her choose to join the Soviet Union and then how losing so much of her identity, foreign ties, and economy from such, but also affecting her relationship with her neighbors and with the West.
- List the circumstances over which this character has no control: Her people, the nations around her, her history (at least now she has no control of that)… uh…
- What wakes this character in the middle of the night: Her cats? When something's going on that she needs to make a big decision for, she'll have a hard time sleeping.
- How would a stranger describe this character: Crybaby, incompetent, hardworking, naive, motherly
- What does this character resolve to do differently every morning: Not screw things up.
- Who depends on this character? Why: Being a nation, there’s over 44 million people who depend on her directly. Not to mention, there’s Ukrainians who live overseas, people of other nationalities who depend on Ukraine, and other nations who depend on foreign relations and whatnot. There’s a lot of people who depend on her that she doesn’t realize.
- If this character knew she had exactly one month to live, what would she do: Probably nothing different than before. Both because she’s witnessed almost dying far too many times and… she feels there’s really nothing that needs to be done in the last moments of her life.
- How would a dear friend or relative describe this character: Kind, persistent, hardworking, motherly, intelligent.
- What is this character’s most noticeable physical attribute: Her breasts.
- What is this character hiding from herself: Her greatest flaw?
- Write one additional thing about the character: I MADE HER SO MOPEY IN THIS! She’s incredibly intelligent and really wants to make friends and just a big mommy who wants people to be happy and warm and take care of themselves. She’s like a babushka in a young woman’s body and thinks people are cute and wants to be well liked and maybe have some sexual relationships is she feels emotionally attracted to them.
Comic: An Older Sister's Magic Words:
Comic: A History of Interesting Clothes:
Comic: Carry On, Newspaper Club!:
Comic: Halloween 2011:
Comic: End of Year Girls' Meeting:
    
[lineart] [younger] [Counting Sheep cover]
Valentine's Day/Kitayume Button
  
With Spain and Toro